[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Thanks for the downloading help!

A hearty THANK YOU to the many fine members of this list who responded to
my questions about downloading Wed documents.  Your answers were very
helpful.

As many of you pointed out, preventing downloading is impossible
(especially for experts such as yourselves), but making it difficult is
potentially feasible.  As we all know, anyone can check a book out of the
library and photocopy the whole thing--but publishers aren't overly
concerned (as long as Kinko's won't do the tedious task for us).  The
same is probably true with the "print screen" option.  (Anyone who has
that muchtime andnothing better to do deserves our sympathy :-) ).

But you might be interested to know that recent court decisions have
stated that placing something in RAM is making a copy.  And a bill is
just coming out of committee in Congress that would strengthen copyright
law to the point where simply browsing through the Web reading documents
(without saving or printing them) could be considered copyright infringement.

--Matt Jackson